Sunday, April 12, 2009

Boom Boom Plop!

Black Eyed Peas
"Boom Boom Pow" single
Released: March 30th, 2009





I must be honest, I almost didn't make it through this song...until about half way through. The first two minutes of Black Eyed Peas new single, "Boom Boom Pow," are comprised of a tornado siren, excessive auto-tuned vocals, and an uninspired drum beat. The droning one-note siren gave me flashbacks to the Midwest when we'd run for the basement because a twister was approaching. I doubt that's what the Black Eyed Peas intended...but I was ready for shelter!
Thankfully, at the two minute mark, the dance synthesizers and beats kick in, the siren fades out, and the song seems to be going somewhere. Oh, but how short lived that moment is. Another storm is approaching and it's time to, once again, sound the alarms. This song lacks the funky, get-on your-feet soul of previous work. It simply pales in comparison to "Don't Phunk With My Heart" and "Let's Get It Started."

The single currently holds the #1 position on the Billboard Charts. Perhaps, on a few repeated listens, I'll understand why that is. In the meantime, I'll be hunkered down waiting for the tornado to pass.

Watch music video


No comments:

Post a Comment